POSITION TITLE: RAY Conservation Diversity Fellow: Social Media Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Linda Capato Jr., Digital Campaign Strategist Manager
STATUS: Regular, Full-Time
ABOUT THE ROGER ARLINER YOUNG DIVERSITY FELLOWSHIP
Inspired by efforts to increase racial diversity in conservation and clean energy, the Roger Arliner Young (RAY) Diversity Fellowship Program aims to increase and facilitate environmentally-related career pathways for emerging leaders of color. The RAY Fellowship Program is a paid fellowship designed to equip recent college graduates with the tools, experiences, support, and community they need to become leaders in the conservation and clean energy sectors—one that, in our visions of the future, fully represents, includes, and is led by the diverse communities, perspectives, and experiences of the United States.
ABOUT Rainforest Action Network
For more than 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned to preserve forests, protect the climate and uphold human rights by challenging corporate power and systemic injustice through research, education, partnerships, non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, strategic campaigns and communications. We are committed to working with Indigenous and frontline communities directly impacted by profit-driven systems of injustice. In partnership with allies from around the world, RAN challenges corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt policies that reduce their contributions to climate change. RAN is committed to doing what is necessary, not only what is considered politically feasible.
The Social Media Coordinator will be housed in RAN’s digital team at RAN, which is focused on elevating the organization’s message, campaigns, and advocacy through digital channels and media. Our team helps drive supporter based advocacy through compelling narratives, striking imagery, and cutting edge tactics. The team is entirely remote and collaborates through Slack channels and a weekly Zoom team meeting. We’re a creative and dedicated team looking to share our experience and build the organization’s ability to make positive change in the world. Every member of the Digital team attends occasional campaign team meetings for a strong understanding of our work so that we can communicate it to our audiences and creatively build online tactics against corporate targets.
In this role, the Social Media Coordinator is responsible for keeping our hundreds of thousands of followers engaged and educated on the various campaigns RAN’s work focuses on as well as amplifying the work of our partners and allies.
The social media coordinator will be responsible for updating our social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. This will include creating original content, commenting on real world events, sharing relevant stories and news articles, having a sense of humor and using sarcasm against our corporate targets. They will also work to build an audience on newer channels like TikTok. The person filling this role will also be responsible for reporting back analytics and clearly identifying winning tactics for our networks. Working with our digital campaign strategists and our graphic designer, you’ll build compelling imagery and beautiful videos to engage and inspire our supporters.
This person will also work with a wide range of campaigners, digital campaigners and communications staffers to help plan projects and keep our social media audiences engaged. Anyone in this role will need to be able to self-manage priorities, be unafraid to ask questions, and stay on top of multiple deadlines. A successful applicant must be comfortable and effective working in a distributed team from a remote location.
- Manage RAN’s social media channels and content on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and TikTok
- Create original content for social media, including working with our designer/videographer on visuals and video content
- Regularly schedule social media posts
- Monitor social trends and adapt RAN’s content as necessary
- Analyze data and report back to the digital team on trends and adjust social strategy and tactics accordingly
- Engage with and answer supporter comments on social channels
- Use our technology platforms to develop Twitter follow campaigns
- Attend campaign and digital meetings weekly
- Develop creative tactics for impacting corporate targets on social channels
- Other duties as assigned by Manager
ADDITIONAL FELLOWSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
In addition to the responsibilities at the host institution outlined above, RAY Fellows will spend, on average, 2-4 hours per week (5-10% of work time) on the following:
- Actively communicating and building community with their RAY Fellow cohort and previous RAY Fellows.
- Attending monthly check-ins calls (including 1-on-1 check-ins with RAY program staff and group calls with their RAY Fellow cohort).
- Meeting regularly with mentors both inside and outside the host institution.
- Attending monthly professional development webinars, trainings, and other opportunities to build knowledge and skills.
- Developing a Personal Leadership Plan (PLP) in their 2nd year with the support of supervisor(s), mentors, RAY program staff, and their RAY Fellow cohort. The PLP will serve as a tool for self-reflection, planning, and assessing progress towards professional, personal, and leadership goals.
- Preparing and leading an hour-long end-of-fellowship webinar highlighting their Fellowship experience.
RAY Fellows will also attend:
- A 3-day Orientation Retreat in August 2021.
- A 3-day Mid-Fellowship Leadership Retreat in August 2022.
- At least one other training or workshop with their RAY Fellow cohort.
Eligible RAY Fellow applicants will:
- Come from a racial / ethnic background underrepresented in conservation and clean energy and demonstrate a commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Be no more than 1 year out of college and have a Bachelor's Degree by July 2021 (we are not considering individuals with graduate degrees at this time).
- Have not had a full-time job in conservation or clean energy.
- Have the ability to work in the United States and commit to the entire fellowship.
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- A college degree by the time of employment
- An interest in the field of conservation.
- Demonstrated intellect and leadership.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- An eagerness to learn.
TERM / LENGTH OF ASSIGNMENT
This is a two-year, full-time fellowship (one year with a one year renewal) starting on or after July 15, 2021.
The Fellowship is compensated and sponsored by RAN, who offers a competitive benefits package as well as training and professional development opportunities. Social Media Coordinator is a full-time fellowship position and the target salary is $40,000. Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family, an employer funded HSA, vision & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vested employer match.
HOW TO APPLY/APPLICATION
To apply for the RAY Fellowship Program, applicants must:
- Complete the online application survey on the RAY Fellowship Program website: https://rayfellowship.org/apply
- Follow the instructions on the linked application webpage to submit a curriculum vitae or a resume, response to one essay, one visioning, and one short answer prompt, and a letter of support.
Applications must be submitted to the RAY Fellowship Program no later than March 28, 2021. Transcripts and additional writing samples are not required. Questions about the application process can be submitted to the RAY Conservation Program Manager, Guilu Murphy, via email at email@example.com.
Rainforest Action Network strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.